Thursday, May 3, 2012


Look at this cute little old building at 1214 North Mangum St. Isn't it sweet? It's a house now, but it clearly was a retail shop. I'm not sure exactly what it sold, but I can easily picture people from all over my neighborhood strolling there to pick up some provisions. Of course, I can much more realistically picture myself, out of some basic item, hauling the baby into the hot car, schlepping to the grocery store, the baby falling asleep in the car so I have to keep on driving because I don't want to waste a nap, then I have to drive through McDonald's and get a cookie (because you have to eat cookies when you drive) and feeling bad because I've been a big polluter and eaten more cookies than I ought to. Wouldn't it be nicer if I could just take a quick stroll up the street to my local little store? Maybe it would be a neighborhood grocery /coffee shop, because the necessity I'd be on the hunt for would most likely be coffee. It would really be nice if our zoning laws made more sense for feet. Maybe when humans evolve to have self-locomotion this will turn back into a little retail operation.

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping this site would have some more info...

    http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/1214-north-mangum-street?full

    Not so much...

    ReplyDelete